Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Can't Help But Think...

Breakfast: eggs w/onion and mushroom; yogurt; green tea
Mid-morning snack: NONE
Lunch: Romaine and spinach salad w/grape tomatoes; green tea
Dinner: stir-fried chicken and vegetables; green tea
Dessert: yogurt

When I think about the past couple of days--really, the past couple of weeks--and all the awful weather we've had... I can't help but think of how it could've been prevented. God works in mysterious ways, this I know. It just brings so much sadness sometimes that it's hard to give the reasons why up to him.


When I think about the lives that were lost and the friends and family that are left behind to mourn that loss, it's almost unbearable. In Chickasha, as I mentioned yesterday, we lost one person to this storm. I praise God that it was only one, but this one person meant so much to so many. I can't help but think, I had room for Laron Short in my basement. Although I never had the pleasure of calling her "friend", I could at one point call her a fellow USAO student and alum. We shared many close friends, and I believe from the beautiful words I have heard spoken about her, we could have been friends, also. In hearing about her being taken by this horrible storm, my heart is broken for all the articles she had yet to write, trips she had yet to take, and memories with friends and family she had yet to make. I know, without having known her, that she will be greatly missed. 


When I think about the people they have yet to find, I lose my breath. To think that somewhere a helpless three year old boy is separated and lost from his family literally makes me want to do nothing but pray. I guess that's all we can do at this point. I can't help but think, I had room for Ryan Hamil and his family in my basement. It just feels so helpless.  I can't imagine being a toddler, lost and alone since yesterday. And even more so, I can't imagine being a parent to this child, having already lost one child to the storm, and not knowing where your baby is. My prayers are with Ryan and his family forever. May his baby brother rest in peace, and may his mother, sister, and unborn sibling see a full recovery. Dear God, please hold little Ryan in your arms tonight. Whether he be standing with Your Son and his baby brother in heaven or still lost somewhere here on earth, I pray that you watch over him and keep him well. Guide rescue workers in his direction so he may be found. Thank you for the gift of his life and please be with his family as they recover from their injuries and immense loss. It is in Your name I pray, Amen.


When I think about the devastation not only in Oklahoma, but in Joplin, MO and other areas as well, it makes my skin crawl. So much disaster has seen our nation, not to mention the globe, lately, that it's overwhelming. When do you stop praying for one area and start praying for the next? To think that entire floors of St. John's hospital in Joplin, MO were ripped off, and then to think of the families and loved ones that were in that hospital... Well, it's just unthinkable. I can't help but think, I had room for some of them in my basement. So much loss to no foreseeable gain. And yet, I still believe that my God is good. 

The tailgate of a fire & rescue truck
When I think about the men and women working day and night to find missing people, clean up the wreckage, and bring glimpses of normalcy back to damaged towns... It leaves me speechless. I wish I could hug and thank each and every one of them. From the fire and rescue teams, to the linemen working to bring power back to areas of town, to volunteer workers picking up trash... I am amazed by the power, courage, and love of God within each and every one of them. You are an inspiration to me and so many others, and I thank God that he placed you right where you needed to be. Only He knows the countless amounts of lives you've saved and the countless amounts of spirits you've lifted. Thank you for all that you do. I can't help but think, there is always room for you in my basement.


When I think about the businesses, churches, schools, and hospitals that were damaged in these storms and so many others... it makes me wish I had more to give to help rebuild. I pray that God performs miracles over these destroyed buildings. I truly believe that it can and will happen. Hope is not lost, it's just hidden somewhere in the rubble. 


But then I think about the people who were in my basement. My amazing, strong, hero of a husband, a great friend from college and her two young boys, and our neighbors with their young granddaughter. Although many lost their lives and many more are still waiting to be found, I know that within our home nine lives were kept safe (including the dog and cat). When I think about the the three young children that were kept safe yesterday, I am happy that their futures are still very much hopeful. It brings me peace knowing that one day they, too, can welcome friends and family into their homes and help protect them from tornadoes, hurricanes, or any other harmful disasters this world has to throw at them. If no other good came from this horrible event, I can look at those small kiddos and smile knowing that they are still here. I praise God for all the lives that were spared yesterday. That we can somehow each find our own ways to deal with the tragedies all around us. That the friends and families who are mourning losses today can someday find peace. 

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be. 

I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, ..... 

All pictures, except the last one, were taken 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...