Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Good News!

I think I might have mentioned at some point that last week was our 3-year wedding anniversary, right? Anyways... The first two anniversaries I was in graduate school, so although we did take time to celebrate each year... It was always during finals week and I always had a lot on my plate. This year, since I'm not in school anymore, I decided to take time from work and spend it with Husband! I worked Monday & Tuesday last week, but took the rest of the week off so we could spend some time just enjoying each other...

That was the plan anyways.

(just kidding)

We did spend a lot of much-need quality time together. However, we also took care of a few "chores" and worked in other fun activities. I changed over my Oklahoma license plate and driver's license to Texas (barf), walked a 5k, had my car break down at the peak of the highest overpass in town (lovely), celebrated the graduation of a good friend, and spent time with our mothers for Mother's Day.

Oh, and I squeezed in my annual onemorereasontolovebeingawoman appointment.

Which actually turned out to be a highlight of the whole "staycation"! (more on that appointment here)


I mentioned in that post that they drew blood to test my luteinizing hormone, thyroid-stimulating hormone, testosterone, and follicle-stimulating hormone levels. Now, don't ask me what any of that stuff means. I googled them all and have some basic idea... But pretty much... All those things work together to regulate your cycle, including menses and ovulation. I know that leaves out a ton of details, but for my purposes... That's really all I needed to know.

Anyways, the results are in and.... (drumroll, please)....

It all came back within normal limits.

Um... Hallelujah?

Back when I had my appointment in January of 2012 (which you can find a post about here), we learned that my ovaries were covered in follicles (or cysts). The birth control I was on for the previous 1.5 years (Depo-Provera or "the shot") had pretty much eliminated my menstrual cycle (as it typically does for some women). So prior to this appointment, I hadn't had a period in 1.5-2 years, which would present itself as a build-up of cysts on my ovaries. My gynecologist (at the time) basically gave me two scenarios or explanations for why my ovaries were so cystic:
  1. The cysts are due to not having a regular cycle for so long. In which case, the hope would be that once I got off BC and my cycles regulated, the cysts would "slough off" and my ovaries would be good as new.
  2. The cysts are due to polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and regardless of weight-loss or birth control, the cysts would remain and most-likely make conception/pregnancy more challenging (not impossible, just challenging).
Following this appointment, I was given Provera (which is a synthetic variant of the hormone progesterone, given to jump-start menstrual cycles) and a prescription to Beyaz.  "I bled for three moons" (sorry... had a Game of Thrones moment) and met with her again for a follow-up appointment in May 2012 (read about that here). At that time, I thought we would be doing another transvaginal ultrasound to monitor the status of those lovely cysts on my ovaries.... But was disappointed to find out it was just to report back on if my periods started. When I asked her if having my period those three months indicated whether or not PCOS is likely, she pretty much (at least to my understanding) told me that I have PCOS, whether or not my period started back up. I realize now I should have asked about a billion more questions and demanded another follow-up in six months to check out my ovaries once more.

But... hindsight is 20/20, and it's irrelevant now. Back to today...

Has it ever happened to you that you didn't realize you were completely and totally stressed about something until it's no longer a concern?

The nurse called and told me the good news (and she was totally excited for me, which felt awesome... Like she knew good things were about to happen in our lives very soon)... And I kept saying to her "Wow, that's really awesome! Thank you so much!" and we laughed and got excited for a second.

As soon as I hung up the phone, I immediately started sobbing... All while smiling uncontrollably.

It totally caught me off guard! I rarely cry these days, especially about something involving me... So to cry spontaneously and uncontrollably about being... happy? It felt amazing and put me in the best mood I've been in in weeks.

I don't take for granted that conception/pregnancy will now be a breeze. I still know where the control lies (and it's definitely not with me, or I'd have been pregnant May 7, 2010)... But I am so incredibly relieved to have one less obstacle on our path to parenthood.

Still praying that God blesses us when He feels we are ready... And praising Him every step of the way!

'Night y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...